Monday, April 14, 2014

These days







Dear Townes & Laszlo,

There are days when the southern county calls to us. We pack the car with extra clothes and wet naps, with granola bars, swim shorts, and towels. We visit the sweet spot where your Papa and I spent many days over the humid, never-ending summer when we first met.


Back then, we hiked barefoot. We swam until the last glimmer of daylight disappeared behind the rocks. We walked along railroad tracks and picked flowers. These days are not so different, except now we have the two of you as our guide.



This year, Townes, you are the most adept I've seen you. You glide with ease over uneven ground that requires of me the most careful footing. You pick me flowers and turn over rocks. You find treasures and creatures: salamanders, mealworms, crayfish, snakes, feathers, and stones. You dip in and out of the water with ease. I barely have to keep an eye on you. You are your own explorer.



Laszlo, you explore in your own way. You gaze up at the sky, notice the birds singing in the trees. We dip your fingers in the water and you look up at us, surprised by the cold. You feel around with your hands, learn to know the feeling of the soft earth under your body. We give thanks that this spring, your body is still small and light, and we are able to carry you back to these sacred spaces where love has grown.


It will not always be this way, I know. These days are unique, but in every instance and circumstance, in every corner of the universe, nothing will ever be the way it was the day before. It is with this knowledge that we make the choice to celebrate this day.

Love forever,
Mama

17 comments:

  1. Oh my. This is anything but overly-sentimental. It is perfectly lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting your post from the yeah write weekly writing challenge (yeahwrite.me/writing-challenge-157/). Love the photos in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brought a smile to my face and tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing your day and reminding me, to also be present in this day. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. "These days are unique, but in every instance and circumstance, in every corner of the universe, nothing will ever be the way it was the day before." Somehow this makes me at once joyful and sad. Beautiful writing and images.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The combination of your words and photographs makes this a beautiful essay about life and love. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awwww... this totally gave me the warm fuzzies. Like a love letter to your family. I've never felt the call of the southern country (or any other particular piece of nature or geography, for that matter). It must be very grounding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Little ones are precious and your words tell everybody why. Thanks for reminding me to appreciate mine, even though they are not so little anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the sense of continuity and history here. Love and history--what wonderful gifts to give your children!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so beautiful! The discovery of one's senses is a magical experience. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all so much for your comments. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a beautiful post. I love the pictures you've shared as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This post takes me back to when my guys were little presenting me with their latest bug. My youngest loved crickets for some reason and at the end of the day would have a collection of them stashed in the seat of his ride on toy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a gorgeous little letter to your beautiful children! Makes me want to take my city boys out for a hike right this very moment. (Found my way here via yeah write.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So beautiful, Val. You are such a strong warrior and an inspiration. I love you and your family so much. <3

    ReplyDelete